12 December 2008

Ubuntu - here we go again

So, I got a new laptop at work. It's a Dell Vostro 2510 with a 250gb 7200rpm SATA HD and 4 Gb RAM. It came downgraded to XP. I had installed Ubuntu to dual-boot with XP. That worked okay but for some reasons that I can't remember I wasn't quite satisfied and decided to remove Ubuntu. That happened on Monday.

After having settled for XP I started to set up my many applications. After a day or so I noticed that many fundamental programs were not working for me. That led to me conclude that I probably needed to wipe XP and reinstall from the source media that Dell provided.

Well, as long as I'm going to reinstall, why not put Ubuntu back on and force myself to use it for a week? Well, that's where I am now. I'm going to go Ubuntu whole hog for at least a week. The only thing that I know doesn't work is my soundcard. The graphics card will require a proprietary driver to do compiz. Even then, I think that the compiz didn't work quite right so I'll probably not get to use that. Small disappointment.

I hate that I have burned so much time on this laptop when I have more interesting things to be doing at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment